Key Performance Indicator Associate Certification Training
PMI Africa, in association with the George Washington University Center for Excellence in Public Leadership, part of the College of Professional Studies and the Balanced Scorecard Institute, offers an introductory KPI Associate Certification program. The KPI Associate Certification course introduces KPIs and their strategic context, and then introduces participants to a step-by-step methodology that can be used to develop various types of KPIs.
Most people – whether executives, managers, strategy or performance professionals, or analysts – struggle to develop and manage KPIs or use performance information to make better decisions. This program helps participants who are working to find meaningful KPIs, get true buy-in to performance measurement, align measures to strategy, and use measures to drive improvement to reach targets.
The KPI Associate Certification course introduces KPIs and their strategic context, and then introduces participants to a step-by-step methodology that can be used to develop various types of KPIs. Through short lectures, case studies, and applied exercises, participants learn the fundamentals of KPI development, how to get true buy-in to performance measurement by building a performance measurement culture, and how to strongly align measures that drive improvement to strategy.
The focus of the first 2 tutorials is on understanding basic KPI terminology and the purpose of measurement, as well as the strategic context needed to develop and align meaningful KPIs. In Tutorial 3- 6, participants learn the fundamentals of KPI development and focus on making strategy measurable and easier to communicate and cascade. They select and design KPIs in a consistent way, using the right data and with the right ownership. With this knowledge, the participants design insightful and actionable reports and dashboards that focus discussion on improvement and can clearly see the real signals from measures about whether performance is improving or not.
At the end of the course (Tutorial 1- 6), participants will understand how to clearly communicate desired results and make lasting improvements in performance. They will be able to tightly align measures to strategy, and measure intangible goals, while streamlining the measurement and reporting process to reduce cost and effort and cycle time. By learning KPI Development, participants will get everything needed to create measures that transform an organization’s performance.
How to Become Certified?
The program includes the KPIA Boot Camp course of study and an exam, that takes place over 6 online tutorials.
Who Should Attend?
This course is recommended for:
- Teams or individuals with performance measurement/management responsibility
- Senior managers or leaders who are establishing, leading, and managing performance management and/or measurement programs and systems
- Managers, planners and analysts who are part of a strategic planning and management team and are seeking the best practical ideas for improving organizational performance
- Employees who have been tasked to plan, develop, or improve dashboards, KPI scorecards, business processes, program and project management, portfolio management or other measurement systems
- Managers, planners, or analysts who are involved with defining performance measures or complying with regulatory and other reporting requirements
- Budget analysts who need performance information to formulate budgets and evaluate programs
Intellectual Property Note
Certification and training related to the Nine Steps to SuccessTM methodology is for internal facilitation and personal use only. Any use of the Nine Steps to SuccessTM methodology, or any other BSI or BSI partner intellectual property, beyond internal facilitation use without a formal affiliate or associate agreement with the Institute is prohibited.
This program is made up of hands-on workshops taught by the most senior Institute facilitating consultants, and is designed to enable anyone involved with developing performance measures to learn best practices so they can more effectively and efficiently develop, deploy and manage KPIs. Instructors will work closely with each participant so they can understand the important business drivers that ensure a successful performance measurement system implementation. Participants will contribute to organizational success by measuring what matters most and apply it to what they learned to their own organization’s performance measurement architecture. This program appeals to leaders and managers internationally, and past participants have raved about the value they received from working side-by-side with others who come from all over the world and various organization types. This sharing of practical experience occurs through classroom discussions, through meet-and-greet receptions scheduled during the week, and in some cases through electronic correspondence long after the course has ended.
But Why Get Certified?
There has never been a better time to accelerate your career in KPI development and/or balanced scorecard facilitation, and earning a certification is a great way to do just that. Even if you have been working with KPIs and metrics for 15 years, certifications are an excellent way to market yourself and stand out from the crowd. Earning certifications shows a potential employer (and your current one) that you are willing to go the extra mile.
Through case studies and a series of interactive small-group workshops, participants will apply the KPI development and management concepts to meet the challenges facing a typical organization.
Exercises performed throughout this program include:
- Identify KPI challenges
- Utilize diagnostic tools, such as the Strategic Maturity Model, Logic Model and Process Flow
- Develop Strategic Themes and Results
- Develop Strategic Objectives
- Understand how well articulated performance results lead to more meaningful measures
- Utilize a Measure Design and Measure Definition templates to develop meaningful measures
- Develop a Performance Measures dashboard
- Identify best practices in building and sustaining a performance culture
- Develop Performance Measures for each of the measurement families: strategic, operational, project measures, risk and employee
- Prepare and deliver your own KPI Application Project
The course will be taught by Principals and Senior Associates of the Balanced Scorecard Institute. These instructors have specialized expertise in KPI and balanced scorecard training, facilitation and consulting in public and private-sector organizations.
The program is designed around practical techniques and templates, real-life case studies, and time for participants to practice what they learn with support from experts. Participants will learn how to:
- Recognize performance management as a key strategic and competitive differentiator
- Understand theory and application of corporate performance management through Balanced Scorecards (BSCs) and other frameworks for developing KPIs
- Create buy in and a culture of continuous performance improvement to enthusiastically own performance measurement and improvement
- Drive performance-informed budgeting and accountability
- Develop best practice KPIs, performance targets, and management dashboards
- Improve performance of departments, teams, programs, projects, risks, and individuals
- Make their strategy measurable and easier to communicate and cascade
- Select and design performance measures that are far more meaningful than brainstorming or benchmarking ever can produce
- Bring their measures to life in a consistent way, using the right data and with the right ownership
- Design insightful and actionable reports and dashboards that focus discussion on improvement
- Clearly see the real signals from their measures about whether performance is improving or not
- Communicate performance information throughout the organization to better inform decision making
- Convincingly hit performance targets, and make measurement about transformation
KPI Associate Certification Course:
Tutorials 1 & 2: Introduction to KPIs and KPI Development
- Introduction to Application Exercises, KPI Case Studies, Tools, Templates, and Supplemental Resources
- Introduction to KPIs and Strategic Management
- Different Types of KPIs
- Understanding Strategic Context and Goal Setting
- Developing and Mapping Strategic Objectives
- Creating the Right Performance Measurement Culture to Build Buy-in
Tutorials 3 & 4: Performance Measure Development Process
- The Process of Developing Performance Measures
- Step 1: Describe the Intended Result(s)
- Step 2: Understand Alternative Measures
- Using the Logic Model to Develop Alternative Measures
- Using the Process Flow Analysis to Develop Alternative Measures
Tutorials 5 & 6: Performance Measure Development Process, continued
- Step 2: Understand Alternative Measures, cont.
- Using the Cause-Effect Analysis to Develop Alternative Measures
- Step 3: Select the Right Measurement(s) for Each Objective
- Step 4: Define Composite Indices as Needed
- Step 5: Set Targets & Thresholds
- Step 6: Define and Document Selected Performance Measures
The Key Indicator Professional Certification exam, administered online, has 40 questions (multiple choice or true/false pulled randomly from a larger pool of questions). There is a 75 minute time limit to complete the exam and results are posted immediately. A score of 75% is needed to pass.
After completing the course requirements, participants that have not already registered for the program will be given a link to register for the exam. Once participants have registered and course completion has been verified, a link for the exam and login information will be provided. Completed exams are scored automatically and both the participant and the Institute are notified immediately. Certifications will be mailed to the registration mailing address for those that pass. Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing.
Maintaining the KPIP Designation – Re-certification
Re-certification is based upon earning 50 credits through continuing education, contributions to the field, and on the job experience. The Institute has established a certification committee to oversee the certification program.
KPIP Certifications expire on December 31, three years from the year a person originally certified (e.g., if you certified in 2016, regardless of which month of the year, your certification is due for renewal by December 31, 2019).
Annual re-certification notices are sent, as a courtesy, in the first quarter of the year in which the individual is due for renewal and additional reminders are sent throughout the year. Accompanying the reminder notice, will be a link to, information regarding the re-certification process and instructions to access the re-certification application form and guidelines.
Please read the following information first
An invoice for the selected course or workshop will be forwarded to you two weeks prior to the date for payment. Registrations must be made and paid for in full at least 30 days prior to the scheduled event. The preferred method of payment is by electronic funds transfer (EFT) to our bank account using the account details located at the bottom of your invoice.
Cancellations, transfers and refunds:
If you must cancel a registration, PMI Africa has the following cancellation and refund policy:
– 30 days or more before the start of the event: full refund.
– Between 14 and 30 days before the start of the event: one-half refund or full credit towards an upcoming course or workshop.
– Less than 14 days before the event: full credit towards an upcoming event.
– A R350 administration fee will be charged for all cancellations or transfers to a future event.
Cancellations by PM Africa:
If PMI Africa is required to cancel a course or workshop for any reason, it will provide registrants with as much notice as possible and will promptly forward a refund cheque for the full amount.
Register for a Course
Course and workshop registrations may be made by completing the online registration form below. We will acknowledge all registrations within 2 working days.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com